Tomatoes are a staple of summer in the south and this pie should be too! It’s the perfect dish for a hot summer night with your family.
• 2 1/4 cups self-rising soft-wheat flour (such as White Lily)
• 1 cup cold butter, cut up
• 8 cooked bacon slices, chopped
• 3/4 cup sour cream
• 2 3/4 pounds assorted large tomatoes, divided
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
• 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) freshly shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup freshly shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 2 tablespoons fresh dill sprigs
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1 green onion, thinly sliced
• 2 teaspoons sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons plain yellow cornmeal
Step 1: Prepare Crust: Place flour in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer; cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. Chill 10 minutes.
Step 2: Add bacon to flour mixture; beat at low speed just until combined. Gradually add sour cream, 1/4 cup at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
Step 3: Spoon mixture onto a heavily floured surface; sprinkle
lightly with flour, and knead 3 or 4 times, adding more flour as needed. Roll to a 13-inch round. Gently place dough in a 9-inch fluted tart pan with 2-inch sides and a removable bottom. Press dough into pan; trim off excess dough along edges.
Chill 30 minutes.
Step 4: Meanwhile, prepare Filling: Cut 2 lb. tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and remove seeds. Place tomatoes in a single layer on paper towels; sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
Step 5: Preheat oven to 425°. Stir together Cheddar cheese, next 10 ingredients, and remaining 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl until combined.
Step 6: Pat tomato slices dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of crust. Lightly spread 1/2 cup cheese mixture onto crust; layer with half of tomato slices in slightly overlapping rows. Spread with 1/2 cup cheese mixture.
Repeat layers, using remaining tomato slices and cheese mixture. Cut remaining 3/4 lb. tomatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices, and arrange on top of pie.
Step 7: Bake at 425° for 40 to 45 minutes, shielding edges with foil during last 20 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 1 to 2 hours before serving.
This delicious pie is a staple for the Southern Christmas Show team! From office potlucks to family get-togethers, this tasty dish is almost always on the table. We hope you and your family enjoy it!